My tenancy FAQs

Useful tenancy info, what to expect from us and what you need to do.

Back to FAQs

Fire safety communal areas

All  internal communal areas should be kept  free from residents' personal belongings or rubbish. If any items  such as bicycles, beds, waste bags etc. are left unattended in hallways or adjacent to stairwells this creates a fire risk for you and other residents. Complying with this simple precaution could save lives.

If you see something that you think is a fire risk in your building,  please report it to your Neighbourhood Officer or call us on 0113 386 1000.

Moving in

If you bid for, or are nominated for a home, we will meet you and request references from your current or previous landlords as well as ensuring that the home is suitable for your needs. When the property is empty and any work has been completed, you will then be able to view it. Your Neighbourhood Officer will then guide you through the sign up process and can answer any questions you may have. 

Lost keys

If you lose your house keys you will be charged for replacing them, unless you have a crime reference number to show that they were stolen.


If mobility issues or a disability makes it difficult for you to manage independently in your home we may be able to assist you to do this by adapting the property or discussing your options.

We can install minor adaptations up to the value of £1000, which could include fitting handrails to stair cases, grab rails in bathrooms, or lever taps to sinks.

If major adaptations are needed then a referral to Social Services for an Occupational Therapist recommendation will be required.  Major adaptations may include wet floor showers, stair lifts, external ramps, etc. These adaptations will be carried out with a Disabled Facilities Grant from the local authority, depending on your financial circumstances.

End of your tenancy

If you want to move out and end your tenancy you must give us 4 weeks notice. You can notify us online from My Account or by calling 0113 386 1200.

You will be responsible for your rent for the whole of the notice period and you must ensure that you have removed all of your personal belongings from the property when you move out. If there is any damage to the property, you will be charged for this to be repaired.

You will need to ensure that you have arranged for your post to go to your new address as we will not forward post after you have left.

Home improvements

Before making improvements or alterations to your home, you must get written permission from us and give details of any alterations, including drawings where appropriate. You are responsible for ensuring the work is done by competent, qualified persons and we may inspect it afterwards to ensure it meets our quality standards.

You are responsible for maintaining and repairing any alterations you make. You must not make any alteration to gas or electrical installations yourself. This work must only be carried out by a qualified person and may require Building Regulations approval. 

Lettable standard

We have service standards in place so that you know what to expect when you move in to your home.
We will make sure your home is clean, presentable and in good condition. You can read more about the standard of your home here.

We will provide you with information about your home and your tenancy.                                                      

Cable, Satellite dishes and TV aerials

If you want to install cable TV or internet in your home, the supplier will need to ask Leeds Federated to complete a 'wayleave agreement' to give permission.

You may also need permission from us to install a satellite dish and should contact the customer services team on 0113 386 1200 to check if this applies to you.

You are responsible for repairing TV aerials and satellite dishes unless it is a communal system provided by us.

Gardens and sheds

You are responsible for keeping your garden tidy, unless you live on one of our schemes which includes a gardening service for a communal garden area.

If you have a shed in the garden when you move in, we will repair it if required, unless the shed was gifted to you when you signed your tenancy agreement.

Household updates

If you have had additional people move in with you, please let us know so we can update our records and check the property will not be overcrowded. Please also keep us updated if people move out.

If you want to take in a lodger, you should ask permission from us first.  We can approve lodgers in most circumstances where this won't cause your property to be overcrowded.  There are new laws around proofs that lodgers must provide, so it is best to check this information with us before making an arrangement for the lodger to move in.


You need permission to keep a pet at your property. Any animals must be kept under control and must be supervised and kept on a leash in common or public areas. If you live in a property with a shared entrance, it is unlikely that you will be allowed to keep a pet.

To apply for permission you should contact your Neighbourhood Officer who will conduct a home visit before granting permission.  Permission is only granted for a specific pet, so if you plan on getting another pet or you are replacing a pet which has passed away then you will need to ask for permission for each pet.

You can download a form to apply for permission to keep a pet below.
Pet permission form

Smoke alarms

It is important to test your smoke alarms every week and replace any flat batteries immediately. If we have provided you with battery operated smoke detectors then you are responsible for replacing the batteries. Having smoke alarms could save your life in the event of a fire.

If there are smoke alarms in the communal areas of your building, then we will test these on a weekly basis.

To reduce the risk of fire in the home, don't hang clothes to dry around gas or electric fires. Keep matches and lighters out of the reach of children and don't leave anything cooking on the stove unattended.
For more information about fire safety in the home, click here

Planned maintenance

We have a planned schedule of maintenance for our homes which includes things such as replacing bathrooms, kitchens, windows/doors and boilers. 

On average, we replace kitchens every 20 years, bathrooms every 30 years, gas central heating/ boilers every 15 years and windows/doors every 30 years depending on their condition.

When we carry out improvements to your home you can expect us to work to the following standards.

  • We will give you reasonable notice of our plans to do improvement work
  • Our improvement work will be done to a high standard of quality
  • Our contractors will be professional and respectful when working in your home
  • Our contractors will keep your home as clean and tidy as possible
  • We will complete the work in the timescale we have agreed with you


You are responsible for decorating your home. Depending on the condition of the property when you move in, you may be given some decorating vouchers to help with this.

You can choose your own colours and wallpaper, but please don't paint kitchen units, floors or plug sockets.