Do you get Working Tax Credit or Child Tax Credit?

25 Jul 2023

The following benefits are ending and being replaced by Universal Credit: 

  • Child Tax Credit 

  • Housing Benefits 

  • Income support 

  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) 

  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) 

  • Working Tax Credit 

In West Yorkshire, the DWP said that it plans to move people claiming Tax Credit, Working Tax Credit and/or Child Tax Credit, from August 2023 but not Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support, Jobseeker’s Allowance, or Housing Benefit. 

In North Yorkshire and other areas the changes will start in September 2023. It is important to know if you are entitled to any Transitional Protection. 

If you are affected by these changes you will get a managed migration notice from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) called a notice of managed migration. Once you have this letter, you will have three months to act. 

Help and support from the Money Matters Team 

We can provide advice on: 

  • The best time in that three-month window to move. 

  • How much you are likely to receive in UC. We will also be able to provide tips to ensure your application is assessed correctly from the start. 

  • If you are entitled to any Transitional Protection. These are measures the Government has put in place to protect against loss of income caused by the switch over. 

  • Assisting with use of benefits calculator to see if you will be better off or entitled to the transitional protection. 

Contact the Money Matters Team on 0113 386 1000 or email  for an informal chat